Guantanamo Uighur appeal rejected
BBC Monday,
17 April 2006, 17:43 GMT 18:43 UK |
The Uighurs appear to have nowhere to go
|
The US Supreme Court has rejected an appeal by
two Chinese Muslims who are seeking release from the
US detention centre at Guantanamo Bay, in Cuba.
The judges declined to hear their case because
the men are due to have a hearing in a lower court
next month.
A US federal judge has already said their
detention is unlawful, but ruled that he could not
order their release.
The pair - both ethnic Uighurs - were mistakenly
captured as enemy combatants in Pakistan more than
four years ago.
'Unable to return'
The US military determined a year ago
that Abu Bakker Qassim and A'del Abdu al-Hakim were
not "enemy combatants" as had been thought when they
were captured in Pakistan in 2001.
However, the Bush administration says it cannot
return the Uighurs to China because they would face
persecution there.
It does not want to admit them to the US, and
cannot find another country to take them.
 |
CHINA'S UIGHURS
|
Beijing has frequently cracked down on Uighur
dissidents, who are seeking autonomy in the
country's north-western Xinjiang province.
The Chinese government accuses Uighur militants
of waging a bombing and assassination campaign, and
receiving training at al-Qaeda camps in Afghanistan.
The two men have been held at Guantanamo since
June 2002. The detention centre has about 490
inmates, 15 of whom are believed to be Chinese
Uighurs.
Their case could return to the Supreme Court
after the lower court hearing.
Chinese President Hu Jintao is due
to arrive in the US on Tuesday and will hold talks
with US President George W Bush on Thursday.
Correspondents say the Uighur problem at
Guantanamo Bay is illustrative of the complex issues
facing the two leaders, but that it is unlikely
either side will raise the subject at their meeting.
.t.