|
China defends
human rights record
Wednesday, March 31, 2004 at 07:00 JST
BEIJING ¡X China issued a vigorous defense of its
human rights record Tuesday, countering American
assertions that it was backsliding and saying its
people have benefited from economic reform that has
made life more prosperous and government more
responsive.
But the report and accompanying comments ¡X part of a
flurry of recent efforts to improve China's
international image on human rights ¡X came as
activists announced the detention of three women who
lost relatives in the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown
on democracy demonstrators.
"The Chinese government gives top priority to the
people's life and health and basic human rights," the
report said. It acknowledged, though, that "there is
still much room for improvement."
The issue of human rights is one of the most thorny
and long-standing sticking points in 25 years of
U.S.-China diplomatic relations, particularly since
the military suppression of Tiananmen protesters in
which hundreds, perhaps thousands died.
China issued its report as the United States sought a
U.N. resolution criticizing Beijing's record. Even as
it acknowledged shortcomings, Beijing said 2003 was a
year of "landmark significance for progress" and cited
legal reforms to protect crime suspects and migrant
workers from official abuses.
"No state is perfect in human rights policies. No one
can say they're totally right and others are totally
wrong," said Kong Quan, a spokesman for China's
Foreign Ministry. "We should be learning from each
other and seeking common ground."
Chinese leaders often say human rights include rights
to food and housing. They reject criticism of their
suppression of religious rights and democracy
activists.
Last week, Beijing suspended human rights dialogue
with Washington after U.S. officials said they planned
to seek a U.N. Human Rights Commission resolution
criticizing Beijing. The United States says China has
failed to keep promises made during a 2002 dialogue.
"We are confused as to why they would propose such an
anti-China resolution," Kong said at a regular
briefing. He emphasized that China plans new rights
dialogues with Britain, Germany and Australia in
coming months.
The report's release coincided with an announcement
that three members of the Tiananmen Mothers group have
been detained, accused of conspiring with foreign
forces to harm China's national security.
The group represents people who lost relatives in the
June 4, 1989, crackdown on democracy demonstrations at
Beijing's Tiananmen Square.
Ding Zilin, Zhang Xianling and Huang Jinping were
picked up on Sunday at their homes, said the New
York-based Human Rights in China, citing unidentified
sources. It said agents seized letters and T-shirts
marking the 15th anniversary of the deadly crackdown.
Zhang's husband was told the Tiananmen Mothers was a "reactionary
group," Human Rights in China said. It said the status
of Zhang's arrest warrant suggested authorities "intend
to hand down summary sentences."
Police in Beijing and Wuxi, the eastern city where
Ding lives, said they had no information. "I would
very much doubt the authenticity of the news you
mentioned," said Kong, asked about the detentions.
Ding's and Zhang's sons were killed when Chinese
soldiers attacked the protesters. Huang lost her
husband. Communist authorities call the nonviolent
protests an anti-government riot and suppress efforts
to commemorate the deaths or gather information.
Ding, a retired university professor, has been the
leading spokeswoman for activists who want the Chinese
government to reverse its verdict and reconcile with
victims' families. The government has rejected such
appeals, despite President Hu Jintao's promises to
make the one-party system more responsive to the
public.
At its annual March session, China's national
legislature amended the constitution to declare that
it "respects and preserves human rights." The
amendment gives no definition and doesn't say how it
will affect official actions.
Foreign activists said 1,000 Beijing police held
dissidents in their homes during the 10-day
legislative session.
Opponents of the Beijing government say it has a long
way to go. Dilxat Raxit, a Stockholm-based spokesman
for the East Turkistan Information Center, an activist
group that says the Muslim Uighur minority of
northwestern China's Xinjiang region is being
oppressed, denounced the report.
"Our history books were burned. Mosques are being
dismantled because of city planning. We do not have
religious freedom," Raxit said. "I hope we have
political rights one day. But all this seems like a
fantasy." (Wire reports)
Japan Today Discussion
as usual
netwalker (Mar 31 2004 - 10:15)
""The Chinese government gives top priority to the
people's life and health and basic human rights,""
barking a lot and doing nothing.
|