EAST  TURKISTAN  INFORMATION CENTER

Freedom, Independence and Democracy for East Turkistan !

  

INDEX:

 

EAST TURKISTAN HISTORY

 

WUNN NEWSLETTER

 

ARCHIVES & PICTURES

 

HUMAN RIGHTS

 

WEATHER

 

UIGHUR MUSIC

 

UIGHUR ORGANIZATION

 

ETIC REPORT 97 - 98 - 99

 

 ETIC REPORT 

 

DAILY WORLD NEWS

 

NATIONAL CONGRESS

 

 REAL MEDIA FILES

 

CONTACT US

 

  GUESTBOOK

 

E-mail: etic@uygur.org

   

Uighur Press on Eastern Turkestan

   The World Uighur Network News 2003

China accuses 11 people, four groups of Islamic separatism

BEIJING, 2003/12/15 AP

China has appealed for foreign help to catch 11 suspects accused of separatist violence in its Muslim northwest and to shut down four "terrorist organizations" abroad.

Monday's appeal is part of a Chinese effort to convince skeptical foreign governments that groups calling for an end to Beijing's rule in the Xinjiang region are linked to international terrorism.

A wanted list issued by China's police ministry was the first time Beijing has singled out people who it claims are leading a campaign of bombings and assassinations.

Citing Chinese support for the global anti-terror fight since the Sept. 11 attacks in the United States, the ministry said there should be no "double standard" in thwarting terror.

"I strongly call on all countries ... to ban the four terrorist organizations," said Zhao Yongchen, deputy director of the ministry's anti-terrorism bureau.

Beijing wants other countries to prohibit support for the groups and freeze their assets, Zhao said at a news conference. The report said most were believed to be in Central or South Asia or Germany.

Diplomats and foreign experts doubt Beijing's claims of an organized Islamic campaign in Xinjiang. They say most violence that Beijing blames on separatists isn't politically motivated and appears to stem from personal disputes.

Chinese officials offer little evidence of an organized campaign or of foreign links. Authorities in Xinjiang have told foreign reporters the territory has little separatist violence.

"A lot of people sort of feel that they are using the threat of terrorism to strengthen their control of the region," said Dru Gladney, a specialist on Xinjiang at the University of Hawaii.

Much of the evidence cited by China was obtained in confessions from suspected operatives, and "we know that China can be very harsh in its treatment of prisoners," Gladney said.

The four groups are: East Turkestan Islamic Movement, or ETIM, the Istanbul-based Eastern Turkistan Liberation Organization, the World Uyghur Youth Congress and the East Turkistan Information Center in Germany.

Dilxat Raxit, a spokesman for the Information Center, denied any involvement in violence.

"China's anti-terrorism activities cannot be believed," Raxit said by telephone from Stockholm, Sweden. "We hope that Western countries don't fall into the trap set by the Chinese government."

Raxit said his German-based group is being targeted "because we have been exposing the negative side of the Chinese government." He said China often blames unsolved crimes on the Uighur ethnic group in Xinjiang.

China said the Information Center commits violence, incites religious extremism, and hires "fugitive convicts" and foreign-trained terrorists to gather information.

The report said that two men arrested in March while plotting to blow up a railway line in western China confessed to acting for the center's leader, Abdujelil Karikax, who lives in Germany. Karikax is among the 11 cited in the report.

A spokeswoman for the German Embassy in Beijing said it had no comment.

In November, visiting Pakistan President Gen. Pervez Musharraf promised China his country would oppose ETIM, state television reported at the time.

The report also cites ETIM leader Hasan Mahsum, who is believed to be in South Asia. Last year, the United States agreed to include his group on its own list of terrorist organizations.

Also listed are Mamtimin Hazrat, who China says fled to Turkey in 1989 and founded the Eastern Turkistan Liberation Organization; Dolkun Aisa, head of the World Uyghur Youth Congress and based in Germany; Abdukadir Uapqan, Abdumijit Mamatkrim, Abdulla Kariaji, Ablimit Tursun, Hudabardiy Hacerbak, Yasen Mammat and Atahan Abuduhani.

Copyright © 2000 The China Post.
All rights reserved.
Please refer to the TERMS AND CONDITIONS of use

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/detail.asp?onNews=1&GRP=A&id=21877

 


© Uygur.Org  15/12/2003 17:40  A.Karakas