EAST  TURKISTAN  INFORMATION CENTER

Freedom, Independence and Democracy for East Turkistan !

INDEX:

 

EAST TURKISTAN HISTORY

 

WUNN NEWSLETTER

 

ARCHIVES & PICTURES

 

HUMAN RIGHTS

 

WEATHER

 

UIGHUR MUSIC

 

UIGHUR ORGANIZATION

 

ETIC REPORT 97 - 98 - 99

 

 ETIC REPORT 

 

DAILY WORLD NEWS

 

NATIONAL CONGRESS

 

 REAL MEDIA FILES

 

CONTACT US

 

  GUESTBOOK

 

E-mail: etic@uygur.org

 

 

   

Uighur Press on Eastern Turkestan

   The World Uighur Network News 2002

U.S. and China Ask U.N. to List Separatists as Terror Group

Karen DeYoung

Wednesday, September 11, 2002

The United States and China have asked the U.N. Security Council to add an obscure group of separatists fighting Chinese rule in the far northwestern Chinese region of Xinjiang to a list of terrorist organizations. The listing obliges all United Nations members to freeze the group's assets and deny entry to its members.

The U.S. and Chinese request, submitted last Friday with the support of Kyrgyzstan and Afghanistan, could be accepted without objection as early as today.

Two weeks ago, the Bush administration ordered that any U.S. assets associated with the East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM) be frozen under an executive order, signed by President Bush after the Sept. 11 attacks, that singles out groups deemed to pose a terrorist threat to Americans or U.S. interests.

Since then, several Western European governments have raised questions about U.S. motives and asked Washington for more evidence of the group's terrorist connections, according to diplomats.

"We are concerned that the Americans are doing the Chinese a favor" at the same time the Bush administration is seeking China's support in the Security Council for tougher action against Iraq, said one Western diplomat who asked not to be identified. Administration officials anticipate that China and Russia, both with Security Council vetoes and strong economic relations with Iraq, will be the most reluctant to agree to any strong new international disarmament action against Baghdad.

Administration officials yesterday denied any ulterior motive in either listing. While acknowledging that "certainly, governments do ask for information" to back up charges of terrorist involvement, one official familiar with the issue declined to say whether such queries had been raised or responded to in this case.

But, he said, "we've got lots of information" on the ETIM. "You can rest assured it is sufficient." The United States had been reluctant to categorize the group as terrorist, and ETIM is not on the State Department's formal list of foreign terrorist organizations.

European diplomats in Beijing who expressed concern said their governments would not formally object to the new U.N. designation. But they said their governments were worried that the listing would be used by China to legitimize crackdowns in Xinjiang.

China has been criticized, by governments including the United States and by human rights organizations, for supression of ethnic groups, including in Xinjiang, an oil-rich region in the northwest that borders eight countries. The Chinese government has particularly targeted the 8 million Uighurs, a Turkic ethnic group that is primarily Muslim and comprises less than half the Xinjiang population. An assortment of Uighur groups, some violent and some religious, but others not, have fought Chinese rule with scant success.

Before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, China sought to play down Uighur links to foreign movements, including al Qaeda and the Taliban. Since Sept. 11, however, China has sought to link its struggle against the separatist movement with the U.S. fight on terrorism.

The day after the U.S. designation, announced by Deputy Secretary of State Richard L. Armitage on Aug. 26 during an official visit to Beijing, the U.S. Embassy cited more than 200 acts of ETIM terrorism in China, including bombings, assassinations and arson, resulting in at least 162 deaths and 440 injuries. Identical figures had been cited in a Chinese government report issued last Jan. 21, although that report attributed the attacks to a number of Uighur separatist groups.

An embassy official also accused ETIM of working with Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network and "planning attacks against U.S. interests abroad, including the U.S. Embassy in Bishkek," the capital of neighboring Kyrgyzstan. Kyrgyz Foreign Minister Askar Aitmatov said recently "there were some suspicions" that two men who were deported this year to China "might have been planning an attack against the U.S. Embassy." He said one suspect was found with a map showing embassies in Bishkek.

Last week, however, a Kyrgyz security official said his government seriously doubted the United States was a target. "The maps were of Bishkek and the diplomatic districts," he said. "But we had no indication that the United States was a target."

Unlike the U.S. terrorist designation, the U.N. list applies only to those with al Qaeda and Taliban associations, ties that the Chinese government accused ETIM of having early this year. State Department counterterrorism spokesman Joe Reap said the Uighur group "has more recently become al Qaeda linked and now operates outside of China," and he and other officials referred to the alleged Bishkek plot. Reap said the United States had its own sources of information for that assessment and had not relied on China.

Another administration official emphasized that the United States was "not referring to the Uighurs collectively" in the terrorist designations. "This is one group of terrorists," the official said, noting that Bush, in a speech he gave in Shanghai last October, had warned against using the war against terrorism as an excuse for cracking down on political opposition.

© 2002 The Washington Post Company
 


© Uygur.Org  11/09/2002 18:35  A.Karakas