An
electronic newsletter
Produced by the Eastern Turkistan
Information Center
No: 4
16 July 1996
In this issue:
(1) UIGHUR ORGANIZATION IN KAZAKHSTAN REPORTS
CLASHES IN CHINA.
16 July 1996, OMRI DAILY DIGEST
(2) THE NUMBER OF ARRESTS DURING "STRIKE HARD"
CAMPAIGN.
16 July 1996, Eastern Turkistan Information Center
(3) CHINA SAYS IT HOPES THE COMPREHENSIVE TEST BAN TREATY
WILL BE CONCLUDED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
13 July 1996, Voice of America
(4) UYGHUR SOCIETY "ITTIPAK" IN KIRGIZSTAN
SUSPENDED FOR THREE MONTHS.
12 July 1996, Eastern Turkistan Information Center
(5) NEWS FROM KAZAKSTAN
12 July 1996, Eastern Turkistan Information Center
(6) THE CHINESE BORDER GUARD TROOPS OFFICER DIED IN
KONJIRAT
10 July 1996, Voice of Eastern Turkistan (Almaty)
(7) THE "STRIKE HARD" CAMPAIGN IS CONTINUING IN
GHULJE CITY
8 July 1996, Voice of Eastern Turkistan (Almaty)
(8) KAZAKHSTAN, CHINA SIGN JOINT DECLARATION.
8 July 1996, OMRI DAILY DIGEST
(9) KYRGYZ-CHINESE COOPERATION AGREEMENTS.
8 July 1996, OMRI DAILY DIGEST
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
(1) UIGHUR ORGANIZATION IN KAZAKHSTAN REPORTS CLASHES IN
CHINA.
16 July 1996, OMRI DAILY DIGEST
The United Nationalist Revolutionary Front (UNRF), a
separatist movement of the Muslim Uighur minority in China, reported that 450 Chinese
soldiers and militiamen have been killed in the Chinese province of Xinjiang since April,
AFP reported on 15 July. The UNRF claims that on 4 July, the day Chinese President Jiang
Zemin was in Kazakhstan, a member of the movement killed 20 Chinese border guards in the
Kundjerbad Pass. AFP has reported that a wave of arrests occurred in Xinjiang following
the signing of border treaties between China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and
Tajikistan in April.
(2) THE NUMBER OF ARRESTS DURING "STRIKE HARD"
CAMPAIGN.
16 July 1996, Eastern Turkistan Information Center
ETIC has received the following data presenting the number
of people taken under arrest during "Strike Hard" campaign in Eastern Turkistan
from Hoten and Kashgar Districts (Wilayet).
1. From Hoten District:
Place Number of people arrested
Karakash county 580
Hoten City 450
Hoten county 370
Kerye county 250
Lop county 200
Guma county 180
Chira county 120
Niya county 70
TOTAL: 2,200
2. From Kargilik County of Kashgar District: 420.
Thus, the total number of the Uyghurs taken under arrest
beginning from middle
of April only in Hoten and Kashgar Wilayets is at least
2,640.
(3) CHINA SAYS IT HOPES THE COMPREHENSIVE TEST BAN TREATY
WILL BE CONCLUDED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
13 July 1996, Voice of America
As VOA's Stephanie Ho reports, a Chinese official repeated
Beijing's assurances that it
Will observe a nuclear testing moratorium after it
conducts one more test in the next few months.
Speaking to foreign reporters in Beijing Saturday, a
high-ranking Chinese official -- who asked not to be identified-- said China would like to
see an early conclusion of the test
ban treaty.
In negotiations in Geneva last month, China dropped its
controversial demand that peaceful nuclear explosions be excluded from the test ban. On
June 8th, China conducted an underground nuclear explosion and announced that it would
carry out one more test before September.
The Chinese official said these moves indicate Beijing's
sincerity and willingness to sign the treaty after several other issues are resolved when
talks resume in Geneva at the end of this month. He said after the accord is concluded,
China will stop all nuclear testing. According to the official, China's main outstanding
area of concern is with verification and determination of on-site inspections.
He said some developed countries, including the united
states, want inspections to be carried out quickly and easily. However, the Chinese
official said China wants on-site inspections to
First be approved by a two-thirds majority.
(4) UYGHUR SOCIETY "ITTIPAK" IN KIRGIZSTAN
SUSPENDED FOR THREE MONTHS.
12 July 1996, Eastern Turkistan Information Center
On March 22 activity of a socio-political newspaper
"Ittipak", which is published in Uyghur and Russian by the Uyghur society
"Ittipak" in Kirgizstan, was suspended for three months by the Justice Ministry
of Kirgizstan. The Ministry claimed that "Ittipak" by its critics to the Chinese
policies in Eastern Turkistan violated the current agreement with China on
non-interference into internal affairs. On June 25, after three months of the suspension
period had been expired, "Ittipak" was allowed to resume its activity.
On July 11 "Ittipak" was reregistered as an
independent newspaper. In my interview, a Chief Editor of the newspaper Mr. Muzepperhan
Kurban said that "Ittipak" aims on independent and wide coverage of the current
social and political life of the Uyghur people, its culture and history.
(5) NEWS FROM KAZAKSTAN
12 July 1996, Eastern Turkistan Information Center
Russian "Argumenti i fakti" newspaper reported
on June 28: the leader of the "Attan" organization Mr. Amantay Asilbekov along
with some other members were warned by the Kazakstani government officials to stay at home
during the official visit of the Chinese president Jiang Zemin to Kazakistan.
"Attan" along with the other political organizations planned to organize a
demonstration protesting continuing nuclear tests in Lopnor site of Uyghuristan.
Also, the correspondent of the Kazak service of the
"Liberty" radio station Mr. Batirhan Darimbet was detained in the police station
for 6 hours that day. The Kazakstani authorities worried that Mr. Darimbet will express
his support to the demonstrators. Only after personal visit and request of the Almaty city
prosecutor, Mr. Darimbet was released.
Mr. Darimbet is going to bring a suit against the
responsible for his detention officers requesting one million tenge (approximately $ 1.5
thousand) for each hour of the detention.
(6) THE CHINESE BORDER GUARD TROOPS OFFICER DIED IN
KONJIRAT
10 July 1996, Voice of Eastern Turkistan (Almaty)
Urumchi Radio reported on July 10: The Chinese border
guard troops officer died in the battle against national separatists at the Konjirat pass
on the border with the Pakistan controlled area. The Chinese government ordered to mark
his death all over Xinjiang.
It became known to us that the mentioned Chinese officer
along with 20 of his soldiers were killed on June 4. The Uyghur volunteers are still
fighting with Chinese military forces in this border region.
(7) THE "STRIKE HARD" CAMPAIGN IS CONTINUING IN
GHULJE CITY
8 July 1996, Voice of Eastern Turkistan (Almaty)
Urumchi Radio reported on July 8: In four operations more
that 4 hundred criminals have been punished. The heads of 3700 families of criminals
convicted earlier signed obligations saying that anti communist party actions will not
repeat in their family.
The same policy was used by the government to the families
of the Uyghur youths who took part in 1985 demonstrations in Urumchi against Chinese
policy in Xinjiang Uyghur. The following data became available to us: During the last two
and half months of the "Strike hard"campaign in Urumchi, Turfan, Gulje and
Karamay about 8 thousand Uyghurs have been taken under arrest. In the southern Eastern
Turkistan only in Aksu Wilayet (district) 10 thousand Uyghurs were taken under arrest.
Chinese authorities are currently deciding whom of those arrested to give death sentences.
Chinese government plans to extend its "Strike
hard" campaign to Kashgar, Karashar and Hotan Wilayets.
(8) KAZAKHSTAN, CHINA SIGN JOINT DECLARATION.
8 July 1996, OMRI DAILY DIGEST
This material is reprinted with permission of the Open
Media Research Institute, a nonprofit organization with research offices in Prague, Czech
Republic. For more information about OMRI, please write to info@omri.cz
China and Kazakhstan signed a joint declaration on
bilateral cooperation and friendship following a three-day official visit by Chinese
President Jiang Zemin, Western, Russian and Chinese media reported on 4 and 5 July. Both
countries pledged to begin the boundary demarcation process in the spirit of the Shanghai
agreement of this April, conclude a treaty on mutual reduction of border troops, and
expand trade. China promised a moratorium on nuclear testing in September. Russian Radio
reported on 5 July that Kazakhstan's security officials prevented Uighur separatists and
anti-nuclear activists from staging protests
(9) KYRGYZ-CHINESE COOPERATION AGREEMENTS.
8 July 1996, OMRI DAILY DIGEST
Before arriving in Almaty, President Jiang Zemin signed a
series of agreements with Kyrgyzstan on 4 July, concluding a two-day visit to Bishkek,
Chinese and Western media
reported. Five agreements on bilateral cooperation in
civil and legal affairs, air transport, customs, meteorological technology and banking
were signed. China also offered 3 million yuan ($370,000) aid in goods to Kyrgyzstan. Both
countries have concluded a demarcation of all but one mountain portion of the state border
between the two countries, Xinhua reported on 4 July
Prepared by:
Abdulrakhim Aitbayev (rakhim@lochbrandy.mines.edu)
WUNN newsletter index
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*==*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
The World Uyghur Network News electronic newsletter is
produced by the Eastern Turkistan Information Center (ETIC) in cooperation with the
Taklamakan Uighur Human Rights Association (USA), and is devoted to the current political,
cultural and economic developments in Eastern Turkistan and to the Uyghur people related
issues.
Eastern Turkistan (Sherqiy Turkistan in Uyghur) is a name
used by the indigenous people of the region for their motherland located in what is at
present the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region of the People's Republic China.
The World Uyghur Network News brings information on
situation in Eastern Turkistan from the Uyghur and other sources to the attention of the
international community.
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*==*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
EASTERN TURKISTAN INFORMATION CENTER
Director: Abduljelil Karkash
Lindwurmstr 99, 80337 Munich, Germany
http://www.uygur.com
Fax: 49-89-54 45 63 30 Phone: 49-89-54 40 47 72
E-mail: etic@uygur.com |